Transforming Mental Health Services
Developing and Strengthening Community Mental Health
IMHCN CALLS FOR ACTION TO TRANSFORM MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES TO TAKE ACTION ON THE SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF PEOPLES MENTAL HEALTH
This transformation requires a fundamental change in thinking about mental health through a comprehensive review of current services and practices.
We need to act upon the clear evidence that social determinants play a fundamental part in the lives of people with mental health issues.
Research (1. Marmot etc) has shown that people with mental health problems have experienced difficult and challenging life situations. This has led them to require mental health services which do not address their whole life needs
The dominant clinical response today does not acknowledge or address the importance of social determinants in the current service model.
The consequence of this is that life circumstances such as, poverty, inequalities, systemic racism and discrimination are not systematically addressed.
The IMHCN believes that we must prioritise community service development through our Whole Person, Whole Life - Whole System, Strategic Approach (link)
Many Mental Health Service Organisations are recognising the need to transform their mental health system.
Covid - 19 has highlighted the urgent need to act now.
We are building a network of people and organisations committed to make this transformation a reality. Join us in this mission? For more information email John Jenkins
Big issues identified by Covid-19 requiring Fundamental Change in Mental Health
A Local and Global Action Plan in Development
The Action Plan is the result of the work with a coalition of organisations representing people with lived experience; who use services; family members, mental health professionals, policy makers and researchers and has been adopted by a Coalition of International Organisations:
- International Mental Health Collaborating Network
- World Federation for Mental Health
- World Association for Psychosocial Rehabilitation
- Mental Health Europe
- European Community based Mental Health Service Providers Network (EUCOMS)
- Global Alliance of Mental Illness Advocacy Networks (GAMIAN)
- Human Rights Monitoring Institute (HRMI)
- Italian Society of Psychiatric Epidemiology (SIEP)
- Transforming Australia’s Mental Health Service System, Incorporated
The Action Plan addresses the need for fundamental change in mental health that should prioritise improving mental health by focusing on social determinants and achieving equity in mental health care for all people worldwide.
These targets are for people and organisations to use locally within their communities and mental health services.
We are now actively seeking the support of all organisations and services that want to be part of this campaign for fundamental change.
Join our Mailing List
Keep informed of the latest news and events from us.
- International and National Responses to the impact of COVID – 19 on mental health needs and services
- SAVE TRIESTE’S MENTAL HEALTH SYSTEM
- International Call to Support The Trieste Mental Health Department
- The right to work: employment and deinstitutionalization
- Paradigm Shift in Mental Health in the Post-Covid era